Civil Servants for the East India Company used to be nominated by the Directors of the Company and thereafter trained at Haileybury College in London and then sent to India. Following Lord Macaulay’s Report of the Select Committee of British Parliament, the concept of a merit based modern Civil Service in India was introduced in 1854. The Report recommended that patronage based system of East India Company should be replaced by a permanent Civil Service based on a merit based system with entry through competitive examinations. For this purpose, a Civil Service Commission was setup in 1854 in London and competitive examinations were started in 1855. Initially, the examinations for Indian Civil Service were conducted only in London. Maximum age was 23 years and minimum age was 18 years. The syllabus was designed such that European Classics had a predominant share of marks. All this made it difficult for Indian candidates. Nevertheless, in 1864, the first Indian, Shri Satyendranath Tagore brother of Shri Rabindaranath Tagore succeeded. Three years later 4 other Indians succeeded. Throughout the next 50 years, Indians petitioned for simultaneous examinations to be held in India without success because the British Government did not want many Indians to succeed and enter the ICS. It was only after the First World War and the Montagu Chelmsford reforms that this was agreed to. From 1922 onwards the Indian Civil Service Examination began to be held in India also, first in Allahabad and later in Delhi with the setting up of the Federal Public Service Commission. The Examination in London continued to be conducted by the Civil Service Commission.
UPSC Job Details :
- Post Name : Legal Officer
- No of Vacancy : 05 Posts
- Pay Scale : Rs.67700-208700/-
- Post Name : Public Prosecutor
- No of Vacancy : 04 Posts
- Pay Scale : Rs.56100-177500/-
Eligible Criteria for UPSC Recruitment :
- Educational Qualification :
- For Legal Officer : Master’s degree in Law with specialization in the field of International Law and/or International Relations or International Organizations from a recognized University.
- For Public Prosecutor : Degree in Law of a recognized University.
- Age Limit : Maximum age limit is 40 years for Legal Officer & 35 years For Public Prosecutor as on 01.03.2018
Job Location : All India
UPSC Selection Process : Selection will be based on Interview.
Application Fee : The candidates are required to pay a fee of Rs. 25/- either by depositing the money in any branch of SBI by cash, or by using net banking facility of the SBI or by using visa/master credit/debit card. SC/ ST/ PH/ Women candidates who are exempted from payment of fee
How to Apply UPSC Vacancy : Interested Candidates may apply online through UPSC website www.upsconline.nic.in on or before 29.03.2018.
Important Dates to Remember :
- Last Date for Submission of Online Application : 29.03.2018
- For Advertisement link click here
- For online Employer Notification for “Public Prosecutor & Legal Officer” Vacancies–Click Here